One of Oxfordshire’s biggest country house hotels, Eynsham Hall, has been sold by property adviser, Christie & Co.
The building, set in 45 acres of grounds, originally dates back to the 18th century and was rebuilt in 1908, now forms part of a business which operates 135 guest bedrooms, restaurant, bar, private dining and functions rooms, and a health club with an indoor swimming pool.
Popular for weddings and corporate events, the venue provides the perfect setting to accommodate for a variety of visitors in a prime rural location, well connected to main roads and a nearby local train station with direct routes to London.
Eynsham Hall was sold by Cathedral Hotels, which bought it in 2005. The new owner plans to refurbish the hotel, following approved planning permission to add 80 additional guest rooms and extended conferences facilities, plus a new spa complex.
The first building on the site went up in the early 1700s, when wealthy local landowner, Willoughby Lacey, enclosed a huge section of his land to entertain guests and to pursue the popular outdoor sports of the day. His original house was typically Georgian, with Greek-style columns and an ostentatious interior.
Eynsham Hall was rebuilt in 1908 by architect Sir Ernest George. His practice was known as ‘the Eton of architects’, his speciality was Elizabethan-style buildings. His interiors for Eynsham Hall were finely decorated in Jacobean style, complete with oak panelling, stone fireplaces salvaged from French châteaux and plasterwork ceilings in the Inigo Jones style.
For 35 years from 1946, Eynsham Hall was a District Police Training Academy.
On behalf of the joint agents, Christie & Co and Nick Sweeney, Jeremy Jones, Director at Christie & Co comments, “Eynsham Hall offered a fantastic opportunity to acquire an extensive site with the benefit of planning permission to extend the site and build revenue further. We received strong levels of interest from a range of domestic and overseas operators and investors. We look forward to see how Eynsham Hall is developed.”